Thursday, December 2, 2010

Scones with Jam and Cream

So I figured it was about time I had a go at the classic 'scone' recipe... And for something I had dreaded attempting for years, it was surprisingly easy and quick - took me less than 30min to make them,

Ingredients:
3 cups self-raising flour
1tsp salt
60g butter
1 1/4 cups milk (or buttermilk... as I have no idea what this is or where it would be located in the local supermarket, I went with milk...)
Jam
Cream

Method:
Step 1: Sift flour and salt into a bowl. Rub in the butter - while I usually love delving in with my hands, this felt like it took awhile so be prepared: your hands may get tired!

Step 2: Add nearly all the milk at once and mix quickly with a knife. Add remaining milk only in necessary to mix to a soft dough.

Step 3: Turn onto a floured board and knead by turnin and pressing with the heel of your hand 3 or 4 times. Then pat out into a flat round shape about 2cm thick.

Now this is where I had to get creative... The recipe calls for a 4cm (1 1/2inch) round floured cutter. Of which I have none. However, my 1/4 cup measuring spoon/cup/thing was about the right size, so I used it to cut out the round scone shapes.


Step 4: Once the scones have been shaped, place them close together on a lightly greased baking tray. Brush tops with a little milk and bake in the top of a preheated very hot oven (230degreesC) for 10-15min or until well risen and golden.

Step 5: For soft scones, wrap in a tea towel as soon as they come out of the oven. For crusty scones, cool on a wire rack. I chose nice soooft scones so I wrapped them up. As they were an afternoon tea thing and I made them late morning, I popped them in the oven for 10 or so minutes when the Pizzaman had finished making pizzas so that they were scrumptiously warm! And of course, serve with jam & cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment