Friday, July 15, 2011

Zabaglione Pastry Horns

This is one I saw months and months ago but I couldn't make because I didn't have the pastry cones. But then, one day, I was out shopping with Mrs Killer and I came across some pastry horns! Mrs Killer can attest to my excitement when I came across them, but trust me, it was great! :-)

Its quick-ish IF you make the pastry horns the night before, which I did. Making the zabaglione itself is easy but does require a fair amount of muscle, luckily I had 3 other people whose muscles I took avantage of.

And now, from the cooking genius of James Reeson, I give you, ZABAGLIONE PASTRY HORNS.

Makes 16 pastry horns, Serves 3-6 people depending on how hungry they are!

Ingredients:
 - 6 egg yolks
 - 3 tbsp caster sugar
 - 3 tsp Marsala (a dessert wine used mostly for cooking, for those of you who have never heard of it - yes, I was one of you)
 - 2 sheets puff pastry
 - canola oil spray

Method:
Step 1: Cut pastry sheets into 2cm strips.


Spray metal pastry horns with canola oil. Wind the puff pastry strips around the cone, from bottom upwards. Gently press the top part of the pastry down to seal. Tip: don't make the end stick out too much as it makes it harder to put the zabaglione in later.


Step 2: Place pastry horns onto a lined baking tray and into a preheated oven at 200degreesCelcius for 11-14 minutes, until golden brown.Remove from metal horn and allow to cool.
Note: You'll have to do it in batches unless you buy 16 or so pastry horns!


Step 3: Place egg yolks into a large mixing bowl and whisk until light and fluffy.


Step 4: Place your mixing bowl over pot of warm water (about75degreesCelcius, just below simmering) and continue whisking for 5 minutes adding half the sugar.
Note: This is the start of the hard bit....get your muscles ready

Step 5: Sprinkle in a little more of the sugar and continue whisking for a further 5 minutes.


Step 6: Sprinkle in the remaining sugar and whisk again for 5 minutes.

Step 7: Add the Marsala a teaspoon at a time, whisking as you go.


Step 8: Pour the zabaglione into a cool bowl.
 tep 9: Place 2 blueberries into the bottom of the pastry horn, put a tablespoon or so of the zabaglione into the pastry horn and top with a strawberry.


Step 10: Dust with icing sugar and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment