Saturday, February 1, 2014

White Chocolate Mudcake - Christmas / New Year Edition


So my White Chocolate Mudcake has always gotten rave reviews from family and friends, and has thus become my regular cake to make for any occasion; its gotten to the point where I could almost make it with my eyes shut!

For two of the Christmas celebrations last year (not used to saying that yet... where did the year go??) I decided to make the White Choc Mudcake and decorate it to be 'christmassy'.

Refer to my original post on White Chocolate Mudcake for the recipe for these cakes - the only difference was in the cooking times: the wreath cake cooked for 1hr 10min(ish), and the christmas tree cake was more 1hr 30min(ish).

Wreath Cake



I used a ring shaped cake mould which meant that the cake cooked a bit quicker (also meant that it was easier to cut up and eat at the end!).

I kept the decorations fairly simple for this one, and just made some lolly-holly to place on top of the normal ganache. The red berries are actually Jaffas and the green leaves are green frogs cut in half length-ways. I had originally thought of using green mint lollies that are in the shape of leaves but couldn't find them so I had to be a little more creative!

Christmas Tree Cake



Similarly to my previous Christmas Tree Cake post, I used a tree shaped cake mould for this one which meant that I didn't have to worry about shaping the tree... but I did have to worry about different cooking times. Speaking of which, I think because of the shape the edges may have been a little overcooked, but because the middle is deeper  than the edges of the treee mould I'm not sure if this is avoidable... I'll have to adjust it next - I mean 'this' year. The beauty of the White Chocolate Mudcake is that it still tastes great if its a little overcooked, its just not quite as moist as it would have been.

The decorations for this cake are also fairly easy because I used the same ganache recipe as I usually do and just added green food colouring to it and tried to 'dab' it on so it was kind of fluffy rather than smooth. I had some chocolate santas lying around that I used as a makeshift tree trunk, scattered some Smarties over the ganache, put a couple lines of candied balls on, and then placed one of my Christmas Chocolate stars on top of the tree - viola!

New Years Eve Cake
We had a quiet New Years with Mr & Mrs Killer and Jnr Killer over at our place, and as a last minute dessert I just happened to have enough white chocolate left over to make another cake. I made the ganache a darkish blue and then tried to put fireworks on with some little candied stars. I chopped up some of the leftover chocolate santas to spell out NYE and then found some sparklers to light it up!




No comments:

Post a Comment