Monday, February 2, 2015

Christmas 2014: Chocolate Christmas Tree Cones


I kept it pretty simple for Christmas this year, and I must say, I was nice not being flat out and working until midnight on Christmas Eve - I could definitely get used to it!

First up we have a really easy and surprisingly yummy dessert - Chocolate Christmas Tree Cones. These got a lot of positive, surprised reviews from the family over Christmas; there were a lot of remarks along the lines of 'these are surprisingly yummy' ... I don't know what that says for the faith my family members have in my dessert abilities, but I'm not going to dwell too much on that and we'll just focus on the positive reviews!

Very easy and fairly quick, I finished up and felt a little weird because it had all been too easy, I thought surely its meant to be harder than this... but no, it wasn't. Its really easy, and one I might try making with Jnr Pink in a year or two.

Ingredients: 
- store bought icecream cones
- large packet of shredded coconut
- green food colouring
- M&Ms / Smarties
- white chocolate melts (one pack, maybe 2 depending on how many you want to make)
- milk chocolate melts (a quarter to a half a pack)
- chocolate coins


Method:
Step 1: Put the shredded coconut into a bowl and add a few drops of food colouring. Mix it through with your hands or a spoon (best done with your hands) - I used food grade plastic gloves so I didn't end up with green fingers!

This is the step that takes the longest... purely because you want to refrigerate the coloured coconut overnight so that the colour doesn't run.


Step 2: Melt the white chocolate in a glass bowl over gently simmering water in a saucepan. Once melted, add some green colour, and pour into a tall glass. (I used one of Mr Pink's beer glasses and got into trouble, apparently thats not something a good wife does, so maybe try to find different kind of glass to use for this!

Step 3: Dip a cone into the melted chocolate glass and then roll in the shredded coconut.


Step 4: I then sat each of the cones into a tall glass to 'set' and then put a bunch of Smarties into each. (I was allowed to use the beer glasses for this purpose...)

Step 5: If you have any white chocolate left over, use it now, otherwise melt some milk chocolate (or more white chocolate) and then pipe a circle onto the open end of the cones. For some reason I don't have a photo of it, but I then placed a chocolate coin onto the end to seal the cone.




No comments:

Post a Comment