Monday, April 18, 2011

Traditional Dutch Poffertjes


I know I said Sticky Date Pudding was my absolute favourite... But really Poffertjes (poff-et-yers) are really truly my absolute all time favourite dessert EVER!

Up until now I've cheated and made pancake-pofferje hybrids using a pancake mix. But we had a Harmony Day celebration at work where we all brought in traditional food from different countries and I took the opportunity to do it right.

One of the best presents I have received (and I've received many great ones) is a poffertje maker machine (shown in the photos below), but if you don't have one of these you can use a normal fry pan and just get flatter - but just as yummy - results.

Ingredients:
- 1 level tsp instant yeast
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 cup buckwheat flour (can be found in most health food stores)
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups warm milk
- 1 tbsp butter

And a 'good' quantity of butter and icing sugar to serve

Just a note on quantity: I made a double batch and it turned out to be this many...
So one batch would happily do 4 people for a dessert

Method:
Step 1: In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in milk.

Step 2: In a separate bowl, combine the buckwheat flour, flour, eggs, yeast, sugar, salt and half the milk. Whisk until smooth.

Step 3: Add the remaining milk and beat again.

Step 4: Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow to rest for an hour.

Step 5: Spray pofferje maker machine with cooking oil or melt butter in each whole (be careful if using butter because I often find the butter burns and then ruins the poffertje) Alternatively if you don't have a poffertje machine, put the oil/butter into a frying pan.

I use a sauce squeezey bottle to squeeze the mixture out as its easier and less messy than trying to use a teaspoon. Having said that, if you don't have an empty sauce bottle, a teaspoon would work fine!

Step 6: Just like pancakes, turn the poffertjes around as soon as the bottom has set. I suggest sticking a fork into the edge of the poffertje and quickly flipping it over. I have used toothpicks in the past but I think forks are easier.

The poffertjes are done when they are a nice light golden brown



Step 7: Serve. Poffertjes are best served hot/warm, so plate them up asap! Put a generous amount of butter with them and then sprinkle/cover with icing sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment